Saturday, January 23, 2016

Honey, who were there at your birthdays? (Gregorian Calendar)

Indian intellectual Amartya Sen talks about many different calendars followed by different cultures in the second to the last chapter of his The Argumentative Indian (《好思辨的印度人》Allen Lane, 2005).

It seems as if the Gregorian Calendar prevails nowadays; however, from what I read from Sen, it is more of a lack of knowledge of other calendars or even of how one's own culture used to register the passing of years. For example, the mixed effect of the Gregorian Calendar and the Chinese Lunar Calendar is rather obvious upon the indigenous peoples of Taiwan. So, we become rather busy.

As a result of the influence of Christianity, we celebrate the crossing of New Year and Christmas; in fact, some villages are so famous in their celebration that they've become a seasonal tourist destination.

Also, as a result of the influence from Chinese culture, we celebrate lunar new year worrying where to come up with the red-envelop money for younger kids, sweep tombs of bygone family members and eat Zhongzi (sticky rice) on Dragon Boat Festival and moon cakes on Moon Festival. What is missing are the many types of rituals and ceremonies that used to direct people's way of life because the environment has changed dramatically.


Rather than lamenting or elaborating upon the change as unfortunate, my purpose here is actually to thank the Gregorian Calendar. For at least on one day in its calculation of the year, it gives many who, whether aware or unaware of their own cultural calendars, a reason to spend their time with me. That is the day registered as my BIRTHDAY. Despite the fact that Mother can't remember at all at what time I was born to the earth (she labored in our own house with the help of a local midwife), she agrees Jaunary 21st should be the date.

So, who were there at my birthdays? Facebook provides me with some answers.

In 2010, it was the first year of my study in the Netherlands. Quite beyond my own expectation, I came to know as much about the ASEAN region as about Formosans because there is almost one representative from each Southeast Asian state: the Philippines, Indonesian, Vietnam, Thailand, India and China.

We had a wonderful night making a lot of merry at our hundred-year-old dorm by the Nieuwe Rijn. And many of us are still in contact. Thank you, my wonderful Encompass friends. I shall see you again soon.

For 2011 and 2012, I was still in the Netherlands. Though I am quite sure I must have spent the day with the Encompass crew, there is no record on Facebook.

In 2013, I returned to Taiwan, my work at the International Affairs Section of the Council of Indigenous Peoples, and my school friends.

First, there were two friends from Pingtung Girl's Senior High. I was actually not in the same class with these girls; I knew the one on my left from church (she is Hakka) and spent one or two semesters in her house, learning Hakka. Another girl was first her best friend, who later also became a friend of mine.

Later, a senior classmate (of Rukai) from National Taiwan University also bought me dinner and beer and taught me so many worthy lessons of indigenous cultures. Not only is she a sociology major, been working in the Council of Indigenous Peoples for years, but she also is the eldest daughter of two parents, who bear titles to chieftainship in the village. Naturally she is the heir to such heritage, and naturally she sees a lot.

But she doesn't like to see herself in the photos.

Frankly speaking, traditional leadership still seriously vies with  modern leadership in the villages. That is why many stories from her mouth are quite absurd; they literally make you see how hard indigenous peoples are changing to adapt to the new environment. Often, they leave me speechless and heavyhearted.

In 2014, I worked in the Council until the end of April. Work was busy and fulfilling, but it could also be very tedious and routine. These two were my best comrades / brothers (of Amis and Bunun) in the International Affairs Section at that time.

Honestly, there was a bureaucratic hierarchy between us, with me being lower in the scale. Yet, since I had more experienced, spoke better English and (this is the key point) was rather ''AGGRESSIVE' or 'ASSERTING', I became the bully. But I wouldn't say they didn't benefit from my straightforward honesty.

Although we were using the midday break to have my birthday lunch together, we were also very pissed off by some rather crudely-operated illegal decision that happened in a government bid meeting just some minutes ago. I still hold the evidences next to me. Maybe one day, the secret will reveal.

In 2015, I remember I intended to have a quiet day. Then, since early in the morning, messages from Taipei, Australia, Europe arrived via phone and email. Most were b'day wishes, but one of them was an invitation to a dinner by this girl (of Amis), who hadn't had a clue that it was actually my birthday. So I went.

Blessings come in many forms. I've known this girl for quite a while; we visited the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues together and we also worked as colleagues in the International Affairs Section. What I like about her is her kind nature and honesty.

One time after several glasses of wine or beer, girding up her loins and putting up her sleeves, she came to me and said, "I really like you. I know you are very good. But can you cut down your pride? You are such a haughty girl!" Haha. Yes, I am. Thank you for pointing that our. I will do my best.

This year in 2016, I have been working in the Indigenous Languages Research and Development Center (ILRDC) for more than eighteen months. My colleagues were kind enough to give a surprise birthday cake a day before on the 20th. I had an early hunch about it, but the sweet feelings were the same.

Work at the this young center is by no means easy or simple. There are many factors affecting its establishment and growth. I am not a futurist; I cannot foresee its next step. But as long as I am put at the helm, the things I can do are to stick to my responsibility, look after my colleagues' welfare and create an environment that brings friendly prospects for the center.

Oh, well, I had wished otherwise over the cake: marry someday soon, finish the degree soon, and (a secret). Haha~

This party still lacks a name. They are all currently working for the Council of Indigenous Peoples, and they are all indigenous themselves.

(Photo - back to front and left to right -: Bunun, Amis, Amis, Paiwan, Paiwan, Atayal)

Yes, the Gregorian Calendar changes indigenous peoples' life, but it also brings them together. It's just the way things are and the way people strive for more than survival; they want a better tomorrow and a tomorrow of their own.

Looking back like this, I am really surprised to find so much friendship and love that have been surrounding and sheltering me all this time. Perhaps, this is what a Christian calls, "Count Your Blessings" (數算恩典). It opens my eyes to my own incorrect patterns of thinking, especially those that drove me down and finally pushed me to the door of a psychiatrist. If I had known how truly lucky I am, I would be much more grateful and stronger.

Of course, there are more people outside these photos; I also acknowledge their love and will return the same, even people who miss this particular day on the Gregorian Calendar. It is after all a day among an ocean of days. What truly counts is beyond.

No comments:

Paiwan Every Day 668: pai

pai, kinemnemanga tiamadju tu kemacu tua ljigim nua kakinan.   Free translation : Now, they decided to take their mother's sewing needle...