Monday, February 16, 2015

Anthology of Taiwan Indigenous Literature

有關台灣原住民文學英文選集(台北:原住民族委員會,2015)。

On Saint Valentine's Day of 2015, Council of Indigenous Peoples used the occasion of 2015 Taipei International Book Exhibition and launched the four-volume Anthology of Taiwan Indigenous Literature (Taipei; CIP, 2015). 

Volume I is 'Chronicle of Significant Events for Taiwan Indigenous Literature', which briefly reviews the development since 1951 until 2014. 

Volume II is the collection of 'Poetry and Prose', which contains 39 pieces of poem and 27 pieces of prose. Translators include Wu Shu-hwa, Hsu Pao-fang and Cheryl Robbins. 

Volume III and IV present 23 short stories in total. Translators include C.J. Anderson-Wu, Hsu Pao-fang, Tseng I-hua, Grace Gao (Atayal) and Yedda Palemeq (Paiwan).

(left to right/ back: Editor Chen Yi-fan, Translator Wu Shu-hwa, Translator Yedda Palemeq, Translator Cheryl Robbins/ front: Translator C.J. Anderson Wu, Chief Editor Chen Fang-ming, Project Initiator Paelabang danapan)

While the idea of translating Taiwan indigenous literature into English has been around for quite a while, this translation project and our team only came about  in May 2014. In order to make the publication possible before February 2015, translators had less than six months to complete the task. It was really daunting, and for me personally, the second half of 2014 was more than difficult to get through.

Nevertheless, we did get through. These volumes of English translation came out.

At the launch, translators were given the floor to share their thoughts. Now thinking back on the words they shared, I feel as touched and moved as I first heard them.

Cheryl Robbins: "I have heard people say indigenous peoples should change their logic, so they can develop. But after translating these works, I find that instead Chinese or western people should change their logic and learn from indigenous peoples, so they can develop."

Hsu Pao-fang: "I speak no indigenous language. Nor am I an outdoor person like indigenous hunters. This is really a great learning experience for me...For I find logic and close connection with nature even in the ravings of a group of indigenous youth drunk and lost in the mountains. This is something to learn."

C. J. Anderson-Wu: "For a Chinese who suffers from identity and national crises, I think we need indigenous literature to make us happy. Without it, our life will simply be a tragedy."

Tseng I-hua: "I just graduated from college, and I  have not read much indigenous literature before. Through this translation project, I find indigenous stories, full of magical elements and surreal imagination, are as interesting as other non-indigenous literature. It will be such a pity to keep them only to indigenous peoples. They deserve to be read widely".

As one of the only two indigenous translators for this project (Grace Gao is Atayal, and she contributed half a piece), I share some of my fellow translators' thoughts but not all. Part of my own reflection is in Lamuru Pakawyan and her 'No. She Is My Vuvu.'

I wasn't sorry at all for not having the chance to share my own story with the crowd that attended our launch. Well, since I was translating for everyone, I would very likely just say "As above". But my deepest gratitude goes to all fellow translators for sharing their (and our) messages. There was connection.

Council of Indigenous Peoples has made 1,500 copies for the first print and plans to give 1,000 copies away to libraries and institutes.

Of course, still many things could be said about the translation and the promotion of indigenous literature to the world. But I will leave such things to other occasions and content myself now, as the volumes are already out. Critiques are valuable, but real work needs to be done first.

Our first step was made. Let's hope the second shall follow soon, steady and strong.

No comments:

Paiwan Every Day 668: pai

pai, kinemnemanga tiamadju tu kemacu tua ljigim nua kakinan.   Free translation : Now, they decided to take their mother's sewing needle...