Sunday, June 19, 2016

12th Festival of Pacific Arts (22nd May - 4th June, Guam)


This is by far the most emotionally-charged official trip I've ever been on: my first time at FestPac and Taiwan's fourth time (as for as I know) since the 9th in 2004 on Palau, the 10th in 2008 on American Samoa, and the 11th in 2012 on Solomon Islands.

I know I can consider myself lucky, being often invited to international events such as FestPac as part of the indigenous delegation from Taiwan. My function is often that of interpretation. But for those who've been on the same trip with me, they would know why I am invited.

I always deliver much more than what is asked of me. This is certainly also the case in Guam this time. My roles were many, including

Facilitating performances,  authors' readings, events and visits as a hostess-interpreter:

Opening Ceremony for 12th FestPac on May 22nd.







Opening Ceremony for Taiwan's art & craft hut, Taqetaq (a place for rest), on May 23rd.

Performance by Taiwan indigenous dance troupe at Paseo Stadium.

Performance by Aiyanga, a group composed of two acclaimed indigenous singers and one percussionist at the FestPac village.

Performance by a Gold Melody Award-winning Amis singer at the FestPac village.


Performance by Taiwan indigenous dance troupe at the FestPac village.
At the reading of Etan Pavavalung's illustration book, Blessings of Lilies.

Helped him sell every copy he brought to Guam and created more orders.

Author's Reading Evening at Latte of Freedom.

Two well-known Paiwan authors, Etan and Sakinu read their works. Djanav, a Paiwan singer, shared his music and poetry.

Official visit to University of Guam and received by the President and Vice President.
My outfit at the Taiwan Cultural Evening, working as the hostess and facilitator of the entire program.

The evening was very successful. Both Governor and Lieutenant Governor of Guam were there; multinational delegations were there. People had a lot of fun.



  Giving a presentation about indigenous languages in Taiwan: 


As Chief Executive of ILRDC, I talked about language revitalization policies and translation of western literature into indigenous languages.

It generated quite a long discussion afterwards. People were asking for a copy of my presentation, article and email.
Conference is part of FestPac, but not the mainstream. Participants are here more for the exchange of music, song, dance, traditional art and skill.

When it comes to language, however, people can't help to respond to the question of how to keep our languages alive.
Conference speakers.

Delivering short speeches on behalf of Taiwan at the Opening and Closing Ceremony of FestPac: 

Getting ready for the parade of Taiwan at the Opening Ceremony.
Lifting Lieutenant Governor of Guam on a sedan chair at the Opening Ceremony.
Making the final approach at the Closing Ceremony.
Speaking on behalf of Taiwan at the Closing Ceremony.

"Adios, Guam. And aloha, Hawaii. See you in four years!".






Volunteering at the DIY section because I love making things; by that, I encouraged participation and sale at our Taqetaq: 


Paiwan glaze beads.

Atayal bracelet weaving.
Chamorro palm leaf weaving.

Was making a hat.














I didn't know I could do that much, and I didn't know in the end I actually felt happier than exhausted. Perhaps it's the blueness of the Pacific Ocean surrounding Guam.

Personally:


It surprised me a great deal when I saw the eyes, hair, smile and style of a Chamorro weaver; they so resemble those of someone I sorely miss for years. They brought me back to his hut again and again. I gave him a Paiwan glaze bead bracelet and he gave me a ring he made.

I know these are eventually two different persons. So before departure, I gave the weaver a warm hug, thanking him in mind for relieving me from a long love pain, and said goodbye. My brother in Guam healed me.

I never regret about not visiting the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (UNPFII) regularly, but I definitely will feel sorry if I miss the next FestPac in Hawaii.

For Pacific is HOME.

(Note: I do not own all these photos. Thanks to the members of Taiwan delegation for sharing them. )

No comments:

Paiwan Every Day 668: pai

pai, kinemnemanga tiamadju tu kemacu tua ljigim nua kakinan.   Free translation : Now, they decided to take their mother's sewing needle...