Sunday, November 1, 2020

An Unfinished Project in 2016: Junior Dr. Indigenous Language

In 2016, I was the CEO of Indigenous Language Research and Development Center (ILRDC). I had a dual role. On the one hand, I managed research projects by colleagues on Taiwan's indigenous languages at a government-sponsored budget of NTD 12 million (USD 420,000) per year; on the other, I did research on indigenous language policy and loanword. 

For language policy, one of my methods was to conduct extensive literature review with a focus on cases abroad. I intended to expolit my language advantage to bring the latest knowledge in the world to people in Taiwan. 

In addition to putting our knowledge on paper, my colleagues at ILRDC and I, with support from our director and supervisor, decided to take a step further. We decided to visualize the result of my study in film. Therefore we produced a mini series called 'Junior Dr. Indigenous Language' or 族語小博士 in Chinese. 

Originally we planned to make 12 episodes  to explain the theories behind and development of indigenous language revitalization movement. But we stopped at 7, due to reasons I can no longer recall now. 

Like the series title, our production was also junior. Team was small, setting simple, and presentation a bit 'green' or immature. Despite my passion for the subject, I feel terribly embarrassed and I honestly have not revisited the films after their production. Seeing myself on screen always gives me goose bumps. Yuk~ 😝😝

Nevertheless, I think what we did was quite awesome. We tired to share knowledge in a responsible manner, hoping this knowledge can be of use to people for good purposes. Because of this alone, I am reblogging all the films here: 

Indigenous Language Revitalization Theme Films (produced and owned by 2016 ILRDC; in Chinese)

Episode 1 Introduction to Junior Dr. Indigenous Language 族語小博士

Episode 2 Indigenous Language Viability Survey 語言調查

Episode 3 Indigenous Language Endangerment Classification 語言分級

Episode 4 What is language death? 什麼是語言死亡?

Episode 5 Linguistic Human Rights 語言人權

Episode 6 How to revlitalize an indigenous language? (Part I) 如何挽救族語(I)

Episode 7 How to revitalize an indigenous language? (Part II) 如何挽救族語(II)

I like knowledge and I like sharing knowledge. That's what presentation is for me. 

No comments:

Paiwan Every Day 668: pai

pai, kinemnemanga tiamadju tu kemacu tua ljigim nua kakinan.   Free translation : Now, they decided to take their mother's sewing needle...