Saturday, March 28, 2020

Paiwan Every Day 21: semenay

tjakudain nu tisun a suqelam tjanuaken. 
tjakudain nu suqelame sun, ku kaka nua aken tjanusun. 
nu kacemadja, nu kademut sun, ku kaka nua aken, ika ku su draudravi. 

In English: 
What can I do if you don't want me?
I can do nothing if you don't want me, my love.
Whether far away or close by, my love, I will not forget about you.

Glossary: 
  1. tja-kuda-in: what to do. The root is kuda 'rule, work, result, how'. 
  2. nu: if or when
  3. ti-sun: you, 2nd person singular nominative (NOM)
  4. a: ligature (LIG)
  5. suqelam: dislike or do not want
  6. tjanuaken: me oblique (OBL)
  7. ku: my, 1st person singular genitive (GEN)
  8. kaka: brother, sister, or 'lover' by extension
  9. ka-c<em>adja: to be far, actor voice (AV). The root is cadja 'far, distant'. 
  10. ka-d<em>ut: to be near, actor voice (AV). The root is dut 'close by'. 
  11. ika: inika, not or no
  12. draudrav-i: forget. 
* When singing, words are often pronounced and/or conjugated differently for the sake of rhyming, though exactly how phonetically speaking is something I need to learn yet.

Singing:

This is a love song. Culturally Paiwan people are shy in courtship. Instead of dating individually, in the past Paiwan young people often went out together in group; there were many wing men and women next to the lovers so to speak.

Also, Paiwan people tend to feel 'miserable' in a relationship. This is a bit more complicated than a simple statement. Listen to the song first because it's quite representative.

No comments:

Paiwan Every Day 668: pai

pai, kinemnemanga tiamadju tu kemacu tua ljigim nua kakinan.   Free translation : Now, they decided to take their mother's sewing needle...