Sunday, January 3, 2021

Paiwan Every Day 302: qenetj // paqenetj

yedda: anema a icu?
kina naluku: aicu? kusuta.
yedda: nima a icu a kusuta?
kina naluku: malji na nisun? neka a su paqenetj?
yedda: nia’en? neka a ku paqenetj.
kina naluku: na nisun a icu, apen.

In English:
Yedda: What’s this?
Mom Naluku: This? Socks.
Yedda: Whose socks?
Mom Naluku: Aren’t they yours? Don’t you remember?
Yedda: No, I don’t remember.
Mom Naluku: They’re yours, my girl.

Glossary:
  1. anema: what
  2. a-icu: this
  3. kusuta: socks. Also read and written as kucusta, loanword from Japanese くつした. Note the middle /cu/ and /s/ are merged in my mom's use of the word. 
  4. nima: whose
  5. malji: I can't locate the source of this word. But in context, it makes a question similar to 'Aren't they...'. 
  6. nisun: your
  7. neka: no or not, negator (NEG)
  8. su: your, 2nd person singular genitive (GEN)
  9. pa-qenetj: remember. pa- 'to cause to be, to occur'; the root is qenetj ‘thought, idea, remembrance’.
  10. ni-a'en: or niaken, of mine, 1st person singular genitive (GEN). Note that /k/ or /q/ or /'/ are interchangeable in our dialect. I myself use both and both are accepted. 
  11. ku: my, 1st person singular genitive (GEN)
  12. apen: Mom always calls me this, like a nickname for little girls. 
Reading:

From conversation with kina naluku on 3 January 2021. 

No comments:

Paiwan Every Day 668: pai

pai, kinemnemanga tiamadju tu kemacu tua ljigim nua kakinan.   Free translation : Now, they decided to take their mother's sewing needle...