Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Paiwan Every Day 494: aken / tiaken / tjanuaken

a-ken
----- ti-aken 'I'
----- tjanu-aken 'me'  (Ferrell, p. 54)

tiaken a navaik a ma ripun. 
akusun a kemeljang tjanuaken?

Free translation:
It was I who went o  Japan. 
Why do you know me?

Word gloss:
  1. ti-aken: I, NOM. ti 'case marker for person, proclitic'; the root is aken 'I' or ken 'I' with a being 'LIG?'. In Ferrell (1982) and ILRDF Online Paiwan Dictionary, aken is split into a-ken with the root ken and a 'undefined'. I've never considered ken a root. This is new to me. 
  2. a: LIG
  3. na-vaik: to have been to or went to. na- 'PRF'; the root is vaik 'go, come'. 
  4. ma: towards, to. This may be a word with a lost root or prefix with the meaing of direction. I have not found any source to support this yet. 
  5. ripun: Japan, loanword from Minnan?
  6. aku-sun: why do you. aku 'why'; sun 'you, 2nd person singular NOM, clitic'. 
  7. k<em>eljang: know, AV. The root is keljang 'knowledge, understanding'. 
  8. tjanu-aken: me, OBL
Voice file:

From Raleigh Ferrell's Paiwan Dictionary (1982) and ILRDF Online Paiwan Dictionary aken and tjanuaken

No comments:

Paiwan Every Day 668: pai

pai, kinemnemanga tiamadju tu kemacu tua ljigim nua kakinan.   Free translation : Now, they decided to take their mother's sewing needle...