Sunday, November 14, 2021

Paiwan Every Day 617: djadjas // madjadjas

kalemedep aken, madjadjas an ngaci. 

Free translation
As soon as I dive in, I accidentally catch mussels. 

Word gloss
  1. ka-l<em>edep: dive or sink in, AF. ka- 'inchoative marker'; the root is ledep 'sink, dive'. 
  2. aken: I, 1st person SIN agent
  3. ma-djadjas: catch. ma- 'to be in condition of without own volition'; the root is djadjas 'hold, entrust'. 
  4. an: ? As far as the syntax goes, I think it should be the oblique case ta or tua. However, the recording sounds like an. Could it be ma-djadjas-an with the LOC marker? I am not sure. I don't know how to explain this. 
  5. ngaci: snail, clam, mussel
Voice file

From ILRDF Online Paiwan Dictionary madjadjas

The inchoative aspect is when state transition of an event is felt "to be the beginning of a new state" (Alan Cruse, Meaning in Language, 2011, p. 301). I suppose catching mussels to bring them home for dinner constitutes itself as a new state. Haha. 

No comments:

Paiwan Every Day 668: pai

pai, kinemnemanga tiamadju tu kemacu tua ljigim nua kakinan.   Free translation : Now, they decided to take their mother's sewing needle...