Thursday, November 25, 2021

Paiwan Every Day 628: djaljdjalj / madjadjaljdjalj

madjadjaljdjalj amen ka ti kaka i selep. 

Free translation
I am next to (subsequent to) selep in the ranking of siblings. 
I am are youner than selep. [selep is the eldest, and I am the second-born.]

Word gloss
  1. ma-dja-djaljdjalj: to be younger than. ma- 'to be in the condition of'; dja- '?'; the root is djaljdjalj 'be second'. 
  2. amen: we, 1st person PL NOM. However, the translation goes with the singular 'I'. I did not change amen to aken, knowing Paiwan has a tendency of using the plural form 'we' to indicate collectivity.
  3. ka: I am not sure why here the elder says ka rather than ta as in Paiwan Every Day 629 djaljdjalj
  4. ti: subjet case marker for specific person
  5. kaka: sister or brother
  6. i: LOC
  7. selep: female name
Voice file

From Raleigh Ferrell's Paiwan Dictionary (1982) and ILRDF Online Paiwan Dictionary madjadjaljdjalj

No comments:

Paiwan Every Day 668: pai

pai, kinemnemanga tiamadju tu kemacu tua ljigim nua kakinan.   Free translation : Now, they decided to take their mother's sewing needle...